Seleccionar página

Most applications for residency in Mexico begin with a Mexican consulate. Some documents may need to be «apostilled». If you go to the application centre – most often an immigration office or registration office in Mexico or a Mexican consulate abroad – without certain types of properly apostilled documents if necessary, your application will be refused and you will be asked to return with duly certified documents. In addition to legalizing your public documents, we can provide you with high-quality translations. The U.S. Embassy and its consulates do not issue apostilles. An apostille must be obtained from the state or federal agency in the United States that issued the issued document. Mexico acceded to the Hague Convention on Exemption from Legalization of Foreign Public Documents in 1994. Therefore, no diplomatic or consular legalization of documents from Mexico is required for successful legal communication with other States members of the Convention. Documents only need to be certified by an apostille certificate with an «apostille» stamp by the authorities of the issuing state to be valid in the destination country. If you are applying for legal residency in Mexico from your home country, the Mexican consulate will generally not require documents from your home country, such as marriage certificates, bank statements, etc., to be notarized or apostilled («notarized» in Canada) in order to accept them. Some court proceedings, usually related to immigration, residency applications, investment, or marriage (or a combination thereof), may require the submission of foreign legal documents to Mexican authorities (or Mexican consulates abroad) as part of the application process. In practice, if you need to file legal documents in Mexico or at a Mexican consulate abroad that have not been issued in Mexico – such as birth, marriage, divorce and death certificates, diplomas, certificates of incorporation, etc.

– you must contact a «competent authority» in the country where the document was issued and have all copies apostilled. If your country is not a signatory, there may be other certification procedures, and you should contact the Mexican consulate or government agency you work with for advice on alternative requirements. Malaysia is not a signatory to the Vienna Apostille Convention. Therefore, legalization is required for documents that are supposed to be legally valid in Mexico. However, if your documents were not issued in your home country (for example, if you got married abroad) or if you apply for legal residency in Mexico from a third country instead of your home country, the Mexican consulate will request the apostille of important documents. See: Document requirements when applying for residency in Mexico through a Mexican consulate in a «third country» If you are applying for residency in Mexico, Canadian documents that must be apostilled for use in Mexico (or a third country) must be legalized by the Canadian government and then sent to a Mexican consulate in Canada to be legalized and used in Mexico. As part of the service, our staff will provide you with a personalized checklist of the documents you need to prepare your application, and will also advise you on which, if any, documents need to be apostilled before being accepted. Learn more about the service. The following institutions are responsible for issuing the apostille: Getting married: How to get married and celebrate your wedding in Mexico For emergency consular services, please email to make an appointment.

If you need help with your application for legal residency, are applying for the first time, renewing an existing permit, or need help resolving issues, you should use our Mexican Immigration Assistance Service. At the direct request of a U.S. municipality, state or federal agency, here is information about documents issued by schools, universities and the Secretary of Education in Mexico City. Foreign birth certificates and foreign marriage certificates are the most common, but there are others. This article describes what the certification and apostille procedures are and what circumstances they usually require. All other documents, e.g. bank statements, investment declarations, must first be notarized and then sent to the apostille. The Apostille Convention, as it is called, is an international treaty signed by many (but not all) countries. The Convention provides for a procedure whereby a document issued in one of the signatory States may be certified for legal purposes in all other signatory States. However, before a document can be legalized by our consulate, it must be certified by the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, which stamps it. For more information, please contact the Department of Authentication and Submission of Documents at 125 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0G2, Tel. (613) 995-0119.

All official documents issued in English or French must be accompanied by an official translation into Spanish. At the direct request of a foreign government: For example, when the Mexican Minister of Foreign Affairs requires the embassy or consulate to certify the documents to be used to collect child support in the United States. Or, if a Mexican state agency for migrant assistance asks the embassy or consulate to certify a document for a parent to request a child`s birth certificate, look at an example. The legalization of public documents in Mexico involves the certification of the origin of the document and the authority of the officials who affixed the signature, seal or stamp to the document. After this verification, a special stamp – the apostille – is affixed to the public document or its certified copy. The apostille is usually placed on the back of the underlying public document or on a separate attached page. An apostille is a specific type of legal certification (under the International Convention) issued by a government body authorized to certify documents issued in that country for legal purposes abroad. You must contact the government department responsible for apostilles in the country where the documents were issued to have the documents apostilled. In some countries, there are online services that do this for a fee. Official documents issued by governments (e.g. birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates) can be apostilled (or certified in Canada) directly by the government of the country in which they were issued.

The apostille can only be issued for the original document. Therefore, the underlying document must be presented in good condition, with all stamps and signatures clear and legible. In addition, it must not contain foreign marks or labels. When sending your documents, remember to send the money order in Canadian dollars and include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Notarial services at the U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Mexico are for all nationalities and by appointment only. Normally, the document to be certified is intended for use in the United States, although there may be exceptions. If you need to authenticate multiple documents, you should only make an appointment. You pay $50 on the day of your appointment for each notary seal you want.